Thursday, January 10, 2008

Plan of Attack

After yesterday's run I've come up with a plan for the Carlsbad Half. Initially I wanted to get a good 10 or 12 mile run in Friday or this weekend, but with the grand opening of the gym this weekend I don't think I'll be up for a long distance run after doing so many workout demos.

So I'm planning on getting as much rest in as I can and cutting back on my crossfit workouts and limiting my workouts to just simple push ups, sit ups and pull ups. Monday I'm hoping to get in another 8 or 9 miles in at lunch (10 if it's not busy at work). Then Wednesday and Thursday just get in some nice 3 to 4 miles in.

As for the race, I've been jumping back and forth on how I should run the race. When Ryan and I ran 10 miles we had really got off to a good pace, averaging 8:20/mile for the first 5 miles then taking it down to 8:00/mile for the second 5. This strategy sounds great, but I'm just afraid that those last 3 miles would be brutal. Another idea was just to go out there and book it. Yesterday I did that and ran sub 8 min miles but I could feel how beat up I was. But I definitely think I could have maintained around a 8:00 to 8:05 / mile pace. My gut says to just warm up with the first 5 miles and stay around 8:05 to 8:10/mile pace and then just go after that and hopefully average sub 8 after.

No comments:

Post a Comment