Focus was on opening the guard.
1. Knees in butt
- Hands in armpits and work to stand up
- Put knees in butt cheeks and begin to squat
- Move hands from pits ribs and eventually waist
- Push waist down to eventually open guard
- Once open, one leg in and one out.
2. Knees in butt variation
- Same as #1, however opponent has strong lets and keeps guard closed
- One arm reach to opposite shoulder and use elbow to pry guard open.
- Difficult for opponent to triangle, however be sure to remain standing and watch your arms
3. Wrist wrapper
- Secure one of your opponent's wrist and lock them on their waist
- Begin to wrap their wrist (thumb to thumb)
- Stand up, start on side that wrist is broken down on
- Knee in cheek and open guard
Rolled before class to warm up. Rolled w/ Ken and Matt. Some notes:
- Might want to re-think half guard (z-guard) transition to x-guard / deep half guard. May want to transition first to half butterfly, then to x-guard / deep half guard. Get hips open then slide leg in.
- Was having problems using my hips to pull them on top of me from half guard (z-guard). Mike suggested working to half butterfly first, then transition or pull them first then push them.
- Be sure when using the gable grip to yank leg.