I'm now able to train at night thanks to Adrian. He brought his mats over to the house and we (Adrian, Anthony and myself) were able to train.
I picked Anthony's brain about his half guard and here are some notes on his half guard and other items:
- It's easier to go to half butterfly first, than go directly to x-guard.
- Work to always get into a half butterfly or butterfly position first as the deep half guard, x-guard and z-guard will be more like transitional guards to get back to the butterfly.
- Butterfly is more offensive and therefore the guard to always try and get back to.
- Hip out first to create space and insert foot to establish half butterfly.
- Can also use Mike's method of kicking out and opening up your hips.
- Got to get better at dropping my hips when passing. Think drop and pass at a 45 degree angle. Key is to put drop my hips and destroy legs while moving at 45 degree angle.
- Rolled with Adrian and Anthony twice and was pretty spent. Love the insight Anthony brought to the table regarding his half guard game.