Wednesday, July 21, 2010

07.21.10 - Running

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that we aim too high and we miss it, but we aim too low and reach it." - Michelangelo

Today was the first day running to my heart rate.  On the menu:

- Zone 1-2 Run, 45 minute run on a gently rolling course (I ended up running on an all flat course)
- Check cadence: Count left foot strikes for 15 seconds.  Goal is 22 or higher.

Here's a good write up on cadence

Running to my heart rate was a complete 180 for me.  Typically I like to run like a mongo, "balls to the wall" type attitude.  Running and trying to keep my heart rate in zones 1 and 2 was challenging because instead of running to my pace (which I used to do) I had to see where my heart rate was.

Here's how I remembered where to keep my heart rate:


A simple reminder.  Keep it between 125 and 151.

Zone 1 - 125 to 141 bpm
Zone 2 - 142 to 151 bpm

I checked my cadence every 5 minutes: 23, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 23, 22, 22

I ended up keeping my heart rate around 144 bpm the entire run. 

3 comments:

  1. Garmin's site is down #FAIL. I like the cadence deal. That's what I'm missing from my runs is a stride / beat to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is where footpods come in handy. so you don't have to count, you can just look down at your watch. anyway, steps per minute should be around 180 / minute or 90 each side which is what Rene was trying to get to each time he counted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ry - lemme have your old one. LOL. And to think I used to laugh at footpods and the "science" behind running.

    ReplyDelete