Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Grappler's Quest

Didn't do as well as I would have liked, but I walked away feeling good about where I'm at and how I'm progressing. Learned a lot from my Grappler's Quest experience:
  1. I can compete at 159. Couldn't believe I made the cut.
  2. How to properly replenish my body. Pedialyte first, then a gallon of water. Made the mistake of trying to drink a gallon of Gatorade and I ended up pissing it out of my ass...NOT A FUN TIME.
  3. Still have a lot to work on from my back.
  4. Be ready next time to sit and wait.
  5. I don't know if it was the adrenaline, but my 1st match made me realize that I was in good shape and NOT GREAT SHAPE. I was exhausted after my match.
  6. Improve my grip strength. Forearms were dead after my 1st match and non-existent in my gi match.

As for my matches, my no-gi match was very competitive. It went back and forth during the 5 minutes and eventually went to overtime. I had my chances at a kimura and brabo choke but the guy defended well. In overtime he ended up getting a takedown and sweep I think to close out the match. There were some points that we (Mike and I) felt the ref missed and would have given me the victory in regular time, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

My gi match was tough. Went against the guy who won our no-gi division. He got the sweep but fell into my guard and I worked for my own sweep but he scrambled and got to his feet. We stand up and he pulls guard and eventually gets an armbar.

Just gotta keep working!

No comments:

Post a Comment